Margaret Wolfe Hungerford, an eminent author, used the phrase in one of her novel ‘Molly Bawn‘ which is now really famous:
“It’s true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”
It’s certainly true as “Beauty” is a highly debatable subject. Everyone has different ideas and perception regarding beauty. But everyone would agree that the God’s most beautiful creation is a Woman.
And among this most beautiful creation, attempts are made to find the most beautiful woman. For this several pageants are held, worldwide every year, be it Miss World, Miss Universe, Miss Earth, Miss International, Miss Asia Pacific World and so on.
The Miss World 2016 is going to be held on the 19 December 2016 in Maryland, United States Of America. As all eyes are set on this pageant to find the next Miss World, we at Tomatoheart bring some lesser known facts about the Miss World Pageant:
1. It is the Oldest Beauty Pageant of the World
2. The Miss World Pageant was founded by Eric Morley who was a British TV host
3. It was first held in the year 1951 in Britain.
4. The First Miss World was “Kerstin “Kiki” Håkansson” and she was from Sweden.
5. Miss World originally started as a Bikini Contest for the Festival Of Britain but the media and press widely dubbed it as the Miss World Contest.
6. Venezuela has the most number of Miss World title winners from a single country with as many as Six Miss Worlds.
7. Miss Sweden “Kerstin Håkansson” was the first European to win the Miss World Title in the year 1951.
8. Miss Egypt “Antigone Costanda” was the first African to win the Miss World Title in the year 1954
9. Miss Venezuela “Susana Duijm” was the first Latin-American who won the Miss World Title in the year 1955.
10. Miss Jamaica “Carole Joan Crawford” was the first Caribbean to win the title of the Miss World in the year 1963.
11. Miss India “Reita Faria” was the first Asian and the first Indian to win Miss World Title in the year 1966.
12. Miss Poland “Aneta Kreglicka” was the first Eastern European who won the Miss World Title in the year 1989.
13. Miss Nigeria “Agbani Darego” is the first Black African who won the Miss World Title in the year 2001.
14. Miss China “Zhang Zilin” is the first Miss World of East Asian origin to win the Miss Miss World title in the year 2007.
15. Miss UK “Helen Morgan” who won the Miss World title in the year 1974 resigned just after four days when it was known that she had a child.
16. Miss Germany “Gabriella Brum” was crowned Miss World in the year 1980 but she resigned just after 18 hours as she had posed nude on a magazine cover.
17. Till date, as many as seven winners have won the Miss World title in their home country.
Did you know these interesting facts about the Miss World Contest? If not, do share this article with your family and friends. and also don’t forget to subscribe to Tomatoheart.com for more such sassy and saucy stories 🙂